Here is an insider’s look at the details of getting an online education through the University of Toledo:
Summer 2012 Online Student Letter
Dear Online Student
To those who are new to online courses, welcome; to others, we are glad you are back. We hope that all of you have a successful academic term. Please remember that your courses will appear in Blackboard on, and not before, the scheduled start date as found in your detailed schedule.
A few instructors require students to come to campus to meet in-person or for testing; this will be detailed in your syllabus. The courses that we know require on-site or proctored testing, or face-to-face meetings, are marked with a “V” on the schedule page here: http://www.utoledo.edu/dl/schedule/summer/index.html. If your course requires proctored testing and you will be off-site testing at a distance, please review the following policy requirements: http://www.utoledo.edu/dl/students/proctor_info.html.
The office of Learning Ventures is here to support your academic efforts. We provide technical help for Blackboard (419-530-8835, 866-886-5336, firstname.lastname@example.org) and offer an array of student services.
New online students may find the following Blackboard instructional resources helpful:
- Blackboard video tutorials http://ondemand.blackboard.com/students.htm.
- Blackboard on-campus workshop schedule https://utdl.edu/DL_training/#SU.
New students should read the following instructions to get started. Students who have experience with UT online courses may disregard these steps, but please make note of our social media news.
To login to Blackboard (your online learning course):
- Go to https://blackboard.utdl.edu
- Enter your Blackboard ID and password where indicated, and click log in. If you have not obtained your username, or set your password, please see the instructions at the bottom of this page* “Instructions for Activating Your Login Account.”
- Complete “A Guide to UT On-Line Learning,” found on your Blackboard (Bb) home page.
- Once the semester begins, click on a course.
We think you will find it helpful to complete steps 1-3, before the semester begins.
Note: Prior to the start of the semester you will only have access to review the Blackboard (Bb) orientation course, “A Guide to UT On-Line Learning.” Your course(s) will appear in Blackboard on their scheduled start date(s).
Social Media News
Please “friend” us on Facebook and sign up for our “tweets.” Incorporating these social networking opportunities into your learning activities will help spread important news, helpful hints, items of interest and innovative learning.
Learning Ventures Facebook page can be found: http://www.facebook.com/UT.LearningVentures
Learning Ventures on Twitter: @UTLV
Please feel free to offer suggestions, start a discussion, become a Fan of The Month, answer trivia questions, read our testimonials and offer your own, meet our staff and enjoy our videos.
Please find the complete “online student” letter at http://www.utoledo.edu/dl/main/current_letter.html.
At www.utoledo.edu/dl/ you will find:
- Help Desk for Technical Support/Help Desk Information.
- More Links for Students for information on Technology Requirements, Adding, Dropping and Withdrawing from classes, the Academic Dishonesty Policy, the Responsible Use of Technology and where to order textbooks and course materials. Buy your textbooks early!
- Remember to check this site frequently for Learning Ventures news and updates.
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is an online course management system used by Learning Ventures and it functions as your virtual classroom. Short tutorials, “working in your course,” can be found at http://ondemand.blackboard.com/students.htm.
I forgot my username or password?
- Click on Account Maintenance on the myUT main page to reset your password.
- Did you forget your answers to the “password hint” questions? The IT Service Request Line will help you. Call them to reset your password, 419.530.2400.
Can I get Bb on my phone?
Yes, many smart devices will be able to access Bb. Specifically, you can access your Blackboard course through the Blackboard Mobile Application from iPod, iPad, or Blackberry device. For more information on mobile access, please contact Learning Ventures, 419.530.8835 (866.886.5336 toll free) or write email@example.com.
Why do my courses appear on the myUT Courses page, but not in Blackboard?
All of your courses appear in myUT Courses, including the online ones. But beginning on the official start date, the online courses will appear in Blackboard (Bb), as well. Remember that Blackboard (Bb) is where you will complete your online course work.
Student services and technical support – common problems
Can’t log in to Bb?
- You must be registered for a course for the current term or have been approved to take an online placement test for the current term.
- When did you register? There is a delay of 1-2 working days between registration and log in access to your course on Bb.
Having difficulty when trying to access Blackboard from myUT?
- Go directly to the Blackboard (Bb9) All Terms Login page at https://blackboard.utdl.edu
Incorrect username or password error?
- Change your password at https://myutaccount.utoledo.edu/
Tuition and/or fee questions?
- Student Services for information regarding tuition and fees. Call Rocket Solution Central at 419.530.8700, for information.